Woodrow Mullis of Hoboken continued his dominance in the Young Lions division with his fourth consecutive win of the season. Mullis started third but made a first lap pass of Zach Leonhardi of Cartersville and then slipped passed pole sitter Blake Gaither of Nashville to move to the front of the field and held on for the win.
“I’m going to try my best to sweep the season,” said Mullis. “Zach [Leonhardi] is making really good progress but hopefully he won’t be able to catch me before the end of the season.”
Including off-season events, Mullis has now won 13 consecutive Young Lions feature races at Atlanta Motor Speedway including a clean sweep of the seven-race Winter Flurry series.
A caution-filled race in the Estes Services Masters division saw Bill Plemons Jr. take the checkered flag as he took advantage of a late race caution that pushed the front runners to the rear of the field.
“We’ve been running awful good,” said Plemons Jr. “We’ve been setting the car up really good, it’s been awesome.”
Skip Nichols of Albany started fifth and wove his way to the front of the field on lap eight. Nichols held the lead until he got tangled with Scott Moseley of McDonough on lap 13th which allowed Plemons Jr. to move to the front of the field on the restart where he held on for the win as the race ended with a green-white-checkered finish.
Chandler Smith of Talking Rock earned the win in the Bandits feature. After being pushed back two positions before the start of the race, Smith patiently made his way through traffic and back to the front on the third lap and then drove away from the field for the win.
RS Senter of Oakwood added to his lead in the Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro division with his fourth win of the season. Senter got tied up with Will Martin of Douglasville on lap 12 in turn two but was able to race his way to the front over the final eight laps for the win.
After a third place finish in Week One, Jensen Jorgensen of Stockbridge has been perfect since – and has dominated the 15th Street Pizza and Pub Outlaw division. He earned his 3rd win of the 2014 Thursday Thunder season as he drove to the checkered flag from the pole.
Roy Hayes of Erie, PA earned the win in the Beginner Bandits division. Lexi Gay of Canton finished second while Trey Tadrzak of Stockbridge earned a third place finish.
In the W.J. Plemons III Associates Group Insurance Inc. Pro Division feature challenge, Mullis started from the pole and was able to hold off Paul Kelly of Pendergrass throughout the race for the win. Leonhardi was also able to gain a position on Kelly and finish second in the race.
Despite some of the worst music and most pathetic contest in the grandstands, fans remained entertained and humored by the zany contest and outlandish activities that added to the thrilling Thursday Thunder racing action on the quarter mile Thunder Ring at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Estes Services Masters
1. Bill Plemons Jr. (Locust Grove), 2. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 3. Robbie Woodall (McDonough), 4. Don Maness (Duluth), 5. Skip Nichols (Albany), 6. Scott Moseley (McDonough), 7. Tony Armbruster (Covington), 8. Martin Snyder (Acworth), 9. Phillip Young (Dallas), 10. Mark Swan (Athens)
1. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 2. Conner Youngier (Stockbridge), 3. D.J. Canipe (Fallston, NC), 4. Austin Geer (), 5. Will Robusto (Fort Mill, SC), 6. Ryan Howell (), 7. Nathan Jackson (McDonough), 8. Isabella Robusto (Fort Mill, SC)
Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro
1. R.S. Senter (Oakwood), 2. Bailey Woodall (McDonough), 3. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 4. Amber Fleeman (Dacula), 5. Aaron Bailey (Burlington, NC), 6. CJ Pucko (Covington), 7. Miranda Meredith (Locust Grove), 8. Will Martin (Douglasville)
1. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 2. Zach Leonhardi (Cartersville), 3. Blake Gaither (Nashville), 4. Dylan Murry (Cumming), 5. Christopher Clanton (Brooks)
1. Roy Hayes (Erie, PA), 2. Lexi Gay (Canton), 3. Trey Tadrzak (Stockbridge), 4. Blaise Maddox (Locust Grove), 5. Samual Oliver (The Rock), 6. Dawson O’Connor (Stockbridge), 7. George Hayes (Erie, PA), 8. Landon Scarborough (Brooks), 9. Gauntt Hudgins (Savannah)
15th Street Pizza and Pub Outlaws
1. Jenson Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 2. Ashton Winger (Senoia), 3. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 4. Kamera McDonald (Keller, TX), 5. Will McConnell (Dallas), 6. Hannah Bell (Raleigh, NC), 7. Matt Mead (Erie, PA), 8. Jonathan Cook (Sunny Side), 9. Chase Purdy (Gallion, AL)
W.J. Plemons III Associates Group Insurance Inc. Pro
1. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 2. Zach Leonhardi (Cartersville), 3. Paul Kelly (Pendergrass), 4. Will Martin (Douglasville), 5. Bailey Woodall (McDonough)
Tickets for the affordable, family-friendly racing series costs just $6 for adults, $2 for children ages 6 through 11 and is free for children ages 5 and younger. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.