MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – July 4th is around the corner and the Macon-Bibb Fire Department wants you to be safe.
The fire department demonstrated how fireworks should be handled at a press conference Tuesday.
Fire Chief Marvin Riggins said he wants residents to have fun, but safely.
“We don’t want anyone to be hurt using fireworks. We know that the end result, if it’s done correctly, it can be very celebratory and very nice and very pretty,” Riggins said.”But at the same time they can cause catastrophic injury, if they are not done cautiously or done wrong.”
Last year, the fire department received more than 150 firework incident reports.
Their goal for this year is zero.
The department wants people to be safe and follow these tips when handling fireworks:
- Never allow children to ignite fireworks
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks
- Light only one firework at a time
- Never try to relight a firework
- Have a garden hose or bucket of water nearby
- Observe all state laws regarding the use of fireworks
- Purchase fireworks from a licensed fireworks dealer
- Use caution with animals
- Use fireworks outdoors in a clear area, away from building and vehicles