Listen to the content of this post:
MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – Since many restaurants are either closed or doing take out only during the COVID-19 pandemic, many people may be cooking more than they have before.
The staff at Texas Roadhouse in Macon wanted to show everyone how to make their beef tips and gravy at home.
Click on the video to see how it’s done.
Beef Tips with Brown Gravy, Onion and Mushroom
Gather all ingredients before beginning recipe.
Always wash your hands and sanitize your work area and equipment before starting any recipe.
2 lb Idaho Potatoes
4 oz. Butter or margarine (butter preferred)
6 ½ oz Milk
½ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper
- Thoroughly wash your potatoes in the sink.
- Peel your potatoes leaving the desired amount of skin on the potato. Remove all the skin if you would like.
- Using a knife and cutting board, cut the potatoes into smaller pieces. (This will allow the potatoes to cook more evenly and quickly)
- Once all potatoes are cut place them in the large pot and cover with cold water. (Bring level of water to just above the top of the potatoes.)
- Bring water to a boil and turn down to medium heat.
- Cook potatoes until fork tender.
- Once potatoes are cooked dump them into a colander to drain the water.
- After water has drained well place the potatoes back into the large pot.
- Add butter or margarine along with milk to the cooked potatoes.
- Mix well with wire whisk or electric whisk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the salt and pepper and stir well to incorporate.
1 quart sauce pan
16 oz. Water
Beef Base or Bullion Cubes (use the amount recommended by the brand)
2 oz Oil
2 oz. Flour
½ tsp. Black Pepper
½ tsp. Garlic, Granulated
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the beef bullion or beef base into the water.
- Set aside for later use.
- Place oil in the sauce pan and heat on medium heat.
- Once hot, add flour and continuously stir with the wire whisk until the oil and flour mix turns a blonde color.
- When the flour and oil are a blonde color add the beef bullion mixture you’ve already prepared.
- The gravy will thicken as you whisk it together with the roux.
- When the desired thickness is reached, remove the sauce pan from the heat.
- Add pepper and garlic to the gravy and incorporate with the wire whisk.
Texas Roadhouse Beef Tips
1 pound sirloin steak
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
Coarse Salt and Pepper
- Spray your Grill with cooking oil
- Allow the Grill to reach medium high heat (approximately 4-5 minutes)
- Slice sirloin steak into cubes approximately 1 inch thick
- Cover with ample ground coarse salt and pepper
- Place filets onto Grill — DO NOT DISTURB them for 3 minutes
- Lift with tongs and flip
- Wait another 2-3 minutes
- Rotate 45 degrees, and cook for another 2 minutes
- Flip again to complete the grill marks, and cook another 1-2 minutes
- Remove them from the Grill while there is still a faint pink line in the center
- Cooking time approximately 5-6 minutes total
- Add tips to gravy
Mushrooms and Onion
1 cup Mushrooms
½ cup Onions
¼ cup Butter/Margarine
½ tsp Seasoning Salt
- Cut mushrooms as desired. Wash thoroughly and allow to air dry.
- Slice onions to your desired length and width.
- Melt butter or margarine in a sauté’ pan on medium high heat.
- Once butter is melted add seasoning salt, mushrooms and onions.
- Cook until all liquids are absorbed, and the seasoning coats the mushrooms evenly
Place sautéed vegetables in gravy mix and then poor mixture on top of mashed potatoes.